Day 8 - Moab, UT to Page, AZ Sept. 11, 2019


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Page
September 13th 2019
Published: September 14th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Waking up to another Blue bird day, we headed to Page, AZ. This was another long travel day. As we left the Moab area, the topography changed markedly. The cliffs and buttes gave way to immense prairies and rolling hills, with the mountains far off in the distance. Lots of cattle ranching in this area. After miles of this scenery, we finally approached Monument Valley. This is an Apache Tribal park, and displays a first hand look at one of the most tremendous natural structures created by erosion. The absorbant sandstone holds underground aquifers which give moisture to crops and adequate grazing for livestock. The Navajo reservation covers one third of the 130,000 square mile Colorado plateau. After checking out the visitor's center and talking to the photo-op Indian at the overlook, we headed out for the Valley Drive. After checking out a half dozen of the sandstone structures and buttes, the road became very rough and rocky, so we turned around. No way did we want to end up like the young couple we rescued in Utah.

By mid afternoon, we arrived in Page, AZ. We took a brief rest at the hotel, and headed out to a place
called Horseshoe Point. This is a point in the Colorado River that does a 180 degree turn around a gigantic butte. Getting to the viewing area required a long walk in soft, beach like sand, although it was all downhill. The view at the point was incredible. The river sits hundreds of feet below us, and the colors were spectacular. It was quite windy, with dust devils twirling around the area. Although the viewing area has a protective railing, it was incredible to see the number of people who climb around them and sit on the ledges, with hundreds of feet below them to the river, just to get a picture. I guess we're supposed to feel sorry when the fall off. It was all fun and games until we had to go back the way we came. The climb back to the parking area through the soft sand was grueling. It was all worth it, as the area is just beautiful, but not possible for anyone with health issues or walking problems. We headed back to the hotel for a quick cocktail time, headed out to dinner and then hit the sack. Long day again tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement














Tot: 0.207s; Tpl: 0.025s; cc: 11; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0674s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb