Ethiopia At A Glance


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Mesa
November 26th 2009
Published: June 16th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 33.4253, -111.727

Here are some basics facts about Ethiopia:
- Located in Northeast Africa; it shares borders with Somalia, Sudan, Eritrea, Kenya and Djibouti.
- It is the tenth largest country in Africa - about twice the size of Texas.
- Climate varies by region, from temperate highlands to hot lowland desert.
- Geography is very diverse. Ethiopia has altitudes that span the lowest point in Africa in the Danakil Desert, where Luci, and the more recently discovered, even older skeleton, were discovered and also is the home of the 4th highest mountain in Africa - Das Rashem at over 14,000 feet. Contrary to the images of drought and mass starvation that most westerners remember about Ethiopia, the country is also home to the most extensive indigenous rainforest to be found anywhere in Eastern Africa. The Central highlands are openly vegetated, green fertile and densely cultivated. The northeastern highlands are drier and generally thinly vegetated except during the rainy season.Only the eastern and southern highlands conform to the image of Ethiopia as a featureless desert.
- Capital city is Addis Ababa with a population of about 3.1 million.
- Official language is Amharic. English is widely spoken.
- Main religions are Ethiopian Orthodox Christianity, Islam and Protestant Christianity. Ethiopia also had a significant Jewish population until the mid-80's when Mengistu overthrew Salassie and during the great famine of 1985 thought it was also a good time to try to wipe them off the face of the earth. The Israeli government with aid from the US, airlighted some 30,000 individuals - almost the total survivors of the various wars and persecution they endured in the late 20th century. Much of the history and architecture in the 'northern circuit' is linked to Ethiopia's religious history and many Ethiopians believe that the Ark of the Covenant is housed in a church in Axum, the ancient capital of Ethiopia. Tabot, which are replicas of the original stone tablets that Moses brought down from Mt. Sinai (The Ten Commandents), and believed to be housed in the Ark, are used widely in Orthodox Christian religious ceremonies and observances.
- Time is GMT +3
- Currency is the Birr

Source for most of this information is from the Bradt Guide for Ethiopia, with Carole's added commentary of the Ark of the Covenant. It is fascinating to me and such a great adventure story if it could ever be proven. Good read on the subject is The Sign & The Seal, Graham Hancock. Many believe his research presents a very compelling case for it being there while others think it is hogwash. Personally, I think they are just jealous! 😊



Advertisement



30th November 2009

Thanks for setting up the blog - I look forward to following your adventure! You guys are living the dream (except the work thing, which is bringing you home early). My favorite new travel tip - half an Ambien mid-way through your first n
ight works wonders ;-)Bon voyage! - Alison
1st December 2009

How exciting! You're the first people I know who have been to Ethiopia. Can you post photos while you're away? Stay away from Somolia, as I don't have enough money to pay your ransom! Can't wait to read your updates!

Tot: 0.185s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb