Houseboating on Lake Powell


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Lake Powell
March 26th 2009
Published: March 27th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


We began a 7 day houseboat trip on March 19 on Lake Powell in Glen Canyon National Recreation Area. I was looking forward to this trip because the plans were to spend the majority of the time in the Escalante arm, an area of the lake I'd never seen.

We camped the first night near the "Cookie Jar" formation in Padre Bay, then three nights in Willow Creek in Escalante, one night in Oak Canyon and the last night back in Padre Bay. We used a smaller motorboat for lots of side canyon exploring. We enjoyed beautiful weather with the exception of one windy cold night.

On one particularly calm gorgeous night, we were in awe of the stars' reflections in the lake. The reflections were so vivid that we could easily pick out constellations in the lake. This was something I had never seen before. In the Escalante arm we were able to motor to the Catheral of the Desert formation. Before the damming of the river this was something special and although most is under water now, it is still a nice sight. Another highlight of the trip was hiking to see recently discovered rock inscriptions from the Domingues/Escalante expedition of 1776.

The four of us enjoyed some good short hikes, photography, excellent food and drink, and lots of laughs.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Ghosts of the EscalanteGhosts of the Escalante
Ghosts of the Escalante

Our ghosts are watching over us around the campfire. Photo by Derek von Briesen


Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 15; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0801s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb