Headed home


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Green Valley
July 13th 2008
Published: July 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Outside of the siloOutside of the siloOutside of the silo

The guide said that this was pretty much how it looked most of the time - minus the equipment. Very unassuming for the power it contained.
On our last morning, we had one more stop planned. We headed over to the Titan Missile Museum right in Green Valley. This is the last missile silo still in existance (minus the warhead of course) and when it was decommissioned, it was turned into a museum. It was interesting to learn that the glass lid over the missile was more the let the Soviets verify that it was still in place than to protect it from visitors.

We went on the guided tour down into the control room and into the actual silo. Samantha got to play the part of the captain, turning the key in a simulated launch. The old technology was fascinating and the checklist of things the crew had to do every shift to ensure that nothing was off was enormous.

It was interesting having the kids there. They have no recollection of the Cold War so there was no context as to why these were built and why they were taken down. The video they showed helped but didn't go into too much detail about the history.

After a few hours, we piled back in the car and started our very long drive
Entering the siloEntering the siloEntering the silo

Gabe and I just hit the height requirement for hard hats. Yeah.
home.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Down the siloDown the silo
Down the silo

From the top
6 foot doors6 foot doors
6 foot doors

The doors, and many other areas, were reinforced and 6-8 feet thick.
Captain SamCaptain Sam
Captain Sam

Sam in the control room seat just before pushing the button.
CorridorCorridor
Corridor

This is the corridor between the silo and the control room. It's all on springs and built for flex - both natural and unnatural.
CactiCacti
Cacti

I liked these cacti found throughout Arizona


Tot: 0.112s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0842s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb