Grand Canyon


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Grand Canyon
December 27th 2014
Published: December 27th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Grand Canyon is in northern Arizona, near the borders of Utah and Nevada, about a five hour drive south and east of Las Vegas NV. It was formed by erosion caused by the Colorado River, which flows westward through it, draining water from seven American states. One of the greatest natural wonders in the world, it is 277 miles (446 km) long, 18 miles (30 km) wide at the widest part, and a mile (1.6 km) deep. The elevation at the part on its South Rim most popular with tourists averages about 6,000 feet above sea level. More than five million visitors come to marvel at its beauty and grandeur every year. It’s definitely a place everyone should visit at least once in their lifetime. A Google search will reveal countless articles with all the information you could ever want.

Most of the Canyon lies within the very large Grand Canyon National Park, although only about 26 miles (42 km) of the Park at the eastern end of the south rim is open year-round to vehicular traffic. There are places to stop for photography at scenic spots, although for some lookouts it is preferable to go to the Park’s administrative centre and take the tour bus from there. The north rim, slightly higher and generally rugged, serene and undeveloped, has limited facilities and is not accessible during the winter months.

I have been fortunate to be able to visit Grand Canyon twice, in 1993 with my late wife Myrtle, and in 2011 with Margo. We found out too late the first time that you must take your photos either before 10 a.m. or after 3 p.m. in order to get the subtle shadows that bring the rock formations to life. That’s because in mid-day the sun is overhead, and all the formations blend together into a shapeless mass of colours. Here are some of our South Rim photos, most of which we took at the right times.

As usual, you may enlarge any photo simply by clicking on it.


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0324s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb