Grand Canyon to Glen Canyon


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Grand Canyon
August 3rd 2010
Published: August 23rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Grand Canyon Sunrise AgainGrand Canyon Sunrise AgainGrand Canyon Sunrise Again

Enjoying it with the family this time.
We got down to the canyon for the sunrise again - this time it wasn’t just me, as I'd managed to convince the rest of the family to come as well. We thought we would take advantage of the fact that we were not completely in line with the local time yet and hence were still waking up early, so there were surprisingly few complaints. It was completely different to yesterday (see Exploring the Canyon - Above, Along and Within) as it was a more ‘traditional’ colourful sky and the sun reflecting off the rocks; completely different and, again, very spectacular.

After we had got back and had breakfast, we set about driving to Lake Powell. We did stop off at another view point as the route followed the rim of the canyon for a considerable way. Once out of the National Park, there were still various canyons, although we didn’t stop. The Lower Colorado river cut a narrow, but still deep scar through the landscape along the side of the road.

Upon arriving at Lake Powell, the first thing that was apparent was how much hotter it was than the Grand Canyon - probably due to the altitude. The brochures and the National Park guide
The Grand CanyonThe Grand CanyonThe Grand Canyon

One last view of the Grand Canyon, from Moran Point.
refer to the area as Glen Canyon rather than Lake Powell. This was Glen Canyon until the Glen Canyon Dam was built and the canyon became a lake. The dam is one of the dominant features of the area and there is a visitors centre and tours available. We decided that we would not do a tour here as we were planning to go to the Hoover Dam when we were back in Las Vegas - stunning engineering achievements as they are, visiting two might seem repetitive. That turned out to be a mistake as we left Las Vegas early, which meant that we did not have time to visit the Hoover Dam whilst we were there (see We Left Vegas and it Got Hotter).

The scenery here was a little like Sedona, with various rock formations. It was just a shame that the view was ruined by a hideously ugly power station that had been built nearby. Even that looked quite picturesque once the sun as set, with all the lights twinkling in the night.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

French BikersFrench Bikers
French Bikers

The Pays D'Othe Troyes Chapter touring the American West.
Endless ViewsEndless Views
Endless Views

Drive-side views on the way to Lake Powell and Glen Canyon.


Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0525s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb