Grand Canyon South Rim


Advertisement
Published: June 30th 2016
Edit Blog Post

We spent the entire day at Grand Canyon South Rim. The first view was overwhelming; the size was beyond what I remembered as a kid. We took the tram to every stop on the orange which covered a couple stops along the rim and then onto the blue and red. Blue is an interior route which went to the train station (yes you can ride a train in, not a cheap option), the campgrounds, retail area that had various restaurants and shops; we also used this route to connect to red. Red by far had the best views it had 9 stops as you ascended up a long incline to finally stop at an elevation of about 7,000 feet at Hermits Rest this was once a small inn. The inn was built in 1914 and designed my a women architect, a women architect was unheard of back then. The inn is very quaint and a beautiful building that now houses a small food stop and gift shop. It was amazing how different each viewing point is. The first viewing area, Mather Point was very busy but had a lot observation points that went out into the canyon. Once on the red route we were able to see the Colorado River and the floor of the canyon. Throughout the day we saw many mule deer, squirrels, a bunny, coyotes and either a Chuckwalla or a collard lizard. We were able to hang in till evening and watch the sun set. During our walk back to the car we saw at least 6 mule deer and it was kind of spooky because it was so dark, we thought we were going to get charged by a Elk at one point. The South Rim was very busy, on another trip I would like to go to the North Rim since I have heard it is a bit more peaceful. One trick to get a little out of the crowds is to take the red tram.

Cost: $30 per car load (Free to anyone with National Park Pass) - We have finally broke even on our purchase of this pass. Trams and parking are included in your entrance fee.




Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



4th July 2016

Wow!!
Incredible pictures!! Love pic #3

Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0201s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb