Grand Canyon Train


Advertisement
Published: May 4th 2016
Edit Blog Post

We walked just a few hundred yards this morning and boarded our section of the Grand Canyon Train at about 9:00 O'clock. Gorgeous day for a train ride and hike in the Grand Canyon. The train ride took just over 2 hours and we had entertainment from cowboys, sheriffs, conductors, musicians and a very talkative narrator for the journey! The interior of the train doesn't look any different than it did probably back in the early 1900's and was an authentic experience of how you would expect an old train journey through the wild west.

We only had about 3 hours at the Grand Canyon itself but made sure we got as much walking in as possible. We started off down Bright Angel Trail, which is the trail most used and takes you down all the way to the bottom of the canyon coming to the Colorado River, in about 9 miles or so. We only took a small part of that descent and were lucky enough to be passed by the pack of mules making their frequent journey with supplies.

We then took part of the Rim trail out and back and had some fantastic views of the vast depth of this Canyon at about 7000 feet, taking heed of the Danger, Caution and warnings of how many people die every year taking selfies. I refrained 😊 Although I did make it out onto a few of the ledges I wasn't taking any chances.

If you ever get a chance to see it, its worth it and is as huge and never ending as you probably imagine.

The train journey back went by fairly quickly with more entertainment and a fun surprise of some cowboys riding alongside the train, firing their pistols and stopping the train to rob us. We saw a couple of deer and a final view of a pack of prairie dogs.

A lovely day and we all survived!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



Tot: 0.186s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0553s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb