Day 16: Joanie, Biddy, Dubby, and Tewksbury


Advertisement
Published: July 13th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Day 16, Latitude 36.05, Longitude -112.09, Sunny and 80. Perfect day for a Mule Ride at the Grand Canyon. After a short bus ride, we met up with six other tourists and our Guide, Hoop. As we introduced ourselves to the other tourists and said we are from Massachusetts, guess what, they had seen Silver Sally—and we hadn’t moved her from the spot outside or place since we arrived yesterday.

Back to the mule ride and Hoop. Hoop is a Navajo, and the furthest he has ever travelled is New Mexico. Hoop was great. He led us out with Tracey, Alec, Luc, and I in order right behind him. Hoop referred to us by the names of our mules; so, we actually went throughout the ride as: Joanie, Biddy, Dubby, and Tewksbury. I am glad I wasn’t first. The views were spectacular and they are real…or did I just get that backwards?

After a couple meals, a trip to the visitor center, and some rest, we headed out for a Ranger talk. Ranger Marty told us all about Teddy Roosevelt, his visit to the Grand Canyon, making it a National Monument, and his quest to get it to become a National Park. We have to remember to watch the Rose Parade this New Year’s as Ranger Marty may be on one of the floats. The National Park Service turns 100 next year and all the floats will be National Park themed.

We walked over and watched the sunset on the Rim. Later on, I went back out to check out the stars. I can’t tell you how much I appreciated seeing the night sky without all the light pollution we have in the Northeast.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0238s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb