Williams, AZ Gateway to the Grand Canyon


Advertisement
Published: August 27th 2006
Edit Blog Post

I love to visit Williams, Arizona which is a nice day trip only 72 miles north (1 ½ hour drive) from my home in Prescott Valley. It's located 60 miles south of the Grand Canyon and 30 miles west of Flagstaff.

Known as the "Gateway to the Grand Canyon" Williams was the last town in America on Historic Route 66 to be bypassed by Interstate 40. I really enjoy the rich heritage that features the Old West and Route 66 of the 50’s and early 60’s. You can "Get your Kicks on Route 66" as a section of the old Route 66 still passes right through town

There’s a lot of history and nostalgia of this mountain community. Williams was founded in the late 1800's by ranchers, railroaders, and lumbermen, The town’s name comes from the famous trapper and "mountain man", Bill Williams.

I enjoy walking around the downtown District which covers six square blocks of unique buildings and shops . The town is listed in the National Register of Historic Places as most of the buildings were constructed in the early 1900's. I found many interesting “old west” type buildings, shops, and restaurants with great names like the “Sundancer Native Shop”, "Colors of the West", "Gem Dandies Jewelry", "Twisters” and the “Route 66 Dining Place", “Cruiser's Cafe 66", "Doc Holiday's Steak House", and "Rosa's Cantina". Also, an adventure which sounds like fun is the Grand Canyon Railway Depot and Hotel. From anywhere in town you can hear the train sounds of steam and clanging bells as the trains depart for the scenic trip to the Grand Canyon 60 miles north of town. The train trip is on my list of “adventures to do” real soon.

Williams is widely known for it’s outdoor recreational activities which I really enjoy. The town is surrounded by the largest stand of Ponderosa pine trees in the world at an elevation of 6700 feet above sea level. This fall I'm plannng on camping at Dogtown and Catarack Lakes and do some hiking up Bill Williams Mountain and down Sycamore Canyon. As Williams has all four seasons they also have a great alpine ski area and cross country ski trails. I don't ski - but the ski slopes are really beautiful.

If you are ever visiting the Grand Canyon be sure to take time to stop by Williams, Arizona as it's a beautiful area..


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Dogtown LakeDogtown Lake
Dogtown Lake

Campground and Fishing Lake
Campsite Campsite
Campsite

Catarack Lake Campground


Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0391s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb