How can a big hole be so fascinating?


Advertisement
Published: September 7th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We are off again on our last long drive of this amazing road trip we have been on, this time to The Grand Canyon. Not sure what to expect after all the amazing sites we have seen, can this stand up to the pressure or will it be a damp squib?

Left Downtown Vegas, which I have an affectionate spot for, and headed off thought we should travel along some of the historic Route 66, as we could, and it would be nice not to be on interstates & highways all the time. It was once again a different side to America, lovely scenery & we passed some very quirky towns. It seems that since the interstate has been built people hardly ever visit now, which is a shame.

Grand Canyon - we had booked in to a cabin for the night, so we could watch the sunset & the sunrise, it was beautiful, the cabin even had views across the canyon, it is lucky I don't sleep walk, as it could have been the last thing I saw, due to the drop being a mile deep!! Ouch

So we watched the sunset with a glass of red wine, before trying to identify the millions of stars a they came out to twinkle, but the 5am wake up call wasn't so welcome, but once again worth it just to see the views, I couldn't tear my eyes away, the scenery just seems to change before your eyes, stunning.

The canyon is breathtaking, it is so big, up to 5 miles wide in places, with sheer drops over the edge.

On our return journey back to Vegas we drove over the Hoover Dam, which wasn't as big as I was expecting, it was very busy. The frightening thing about this journey was the fact that we saw 3 accidents, an 'Airstream' had flipped on the way going, and on the way back we saw a caravan totally wrecked & a lorry that had gone over the side of the road being hoisted up - I just hope no-one was killed or seriously hurt.

So back to Vegas this time we are on 'The Strip' treated ourselves to a suite in one of the hotels, so we could relax for the rest of our journey.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement



Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0334s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb