Day 34 Grand Canyon Adventure day


Advertisement
Published: June 6th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Day 34: South Rim of the Grand Canyon

Today was adventure day! We put Milo in the kennel for the day so that we could take the shuttle bus west from the Village. (They won't allow dogs on the bus) Kerry and Gena wanted to hike at least part way down the Bright Angel Trail and they wanted to do it while is was relatively cool - - they finally found the trail head and started down about 11 AM. Charlie and Bob stayed at the top to take pictures of them coming back up. While waiting, we got to see three condors, one of them in flight! Kerry and Gena went down the trail a little over a mile and came back up - - we figure that they went down about 1000-1300 ft vertically. That's a real hike for two people not used to much walking. They were both bushed when they got back to the top - - they did make it back up without any assistance. Then we indulged ourselves and had lunch at Bright Angel Restaurant and every one drank a lot of liquid. After lunch, we walked down to the Red Line Bus stop to take the shuttle out to Hermits Rest. We stopped and the first overlook, Trailview Overlook, where Kerry & Gena could show us exactly how far down the trail they had hiked. We got off again at Powell Pt, The Abyss, and Hermits Rest. Gena & Charlie went in to the Visitors Center for Patches & Stamps - - got both. We needed to get back to the Kennel by 5, so we then hopped on a bus back - - almost made it to the kennel by 5 - - it was 5:07. Bob had called ahead to make sure that the ranger would wait that long - - she said she would. Milo was sure glad to be picked up. Thought he was going to lick Gena's face off!! Milo was as tired as the hikers – - slept all the way back to camp. After a dinner of BBQ chicken breasts, we all collapsed into bed.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Gena and KerryGena and Kerry
Gena and Kerry

Almost to the top
Trail at the end of theirTrail at the end of their
Trail at the end of their

hike. They went to about the point where the trail turned from red to white in the center of the photo
View from the AbyssView from the Abyss
View from the Abyss

There is a 3000 ft shear drop from this viewpoint


Tot: 0.123s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0839s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb