THE GRAND CANYON I


Advertisement
Published: February 2nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
Hi Friends and Family,

THE GRAND CANYON I

We arrived at our hotel – „The Grand Canyon Plaza Resort“ in the evening and after checking-in, went straight for the dinning room ‘cos we were very, very hungry!

We were really looking forward to experiencing everything that The Grand Canyon had to offer.

The hotel was really nice and we had a deluxe room which backed out near to the indoor spa area and had two vanity areas, a huge flat screen TV, a terrace backing into the wintergarten and free WIFI!

It would be so lovely in the summer.

You could see that it really was low-season as there were very few guests and most were Japanese tourists, three American families and ourselves!

I had been a little sceptical of this hotel as this wasn’t our original choice…. “The Red Feather Lodge “had closed its restaurant so our travel agent recommended three other hotels nearby and the reviews that I had previously read about “The Grand Canyon Plaza Resort ” was that it was over-run by travel groups and was really crowded.

Not this time.

Phew!

Not only that, but the staff were happily over-attentive and made sure that we had everything that we needed, so it was very OK and I would openly recommend this resort.

It was here that the weather changed into that of winter and luckily, we had arrived when the roads were pretty passable and thus we would not need the snow chains after all.

Hurrah!

We were going to spend most of our time on the South Rim of the Grand Canyon.

1. The Grand Canyon Visitor Centre where we picked up The Junior Ranger Activity Test whereby “The Small Young Gentleman had to complete at least four (4) activities in order to get a certificate and a Junior Ranger Badge. These activities consisted of observation, sound and general knowledge tests. He got the badge the next day.


2. The Canyon Rim


3. The Yavapai Observation Station


4. Colorado Plateau


5. Raven Crows!


6. Bright Angel Lodge


7. The history of mules at the Grand Canyon


8. Hermits Rest


9. The sunset was such an amazing sight and a highlight of the trip.


What can I say; the photos and videos speak for themselves?

Enjoy!

More tomorrow.



Additional photos below
Photos: 110, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



2nd February 2011

wonderful and you are almost alone ! That's geat just for you ! appreciate it! usually it's full. I was there in the summer and it was really really warm. We went by car to the river passing through an Indian reserve and paying the Indian chef at the petrol station ! Fun ! Plus you are lucky, cold but sunny ! What do you want more ! Thank you for sharing and enjoy your suite :-)
3rd February 2011

Grand Canyon I
Hi Florence! Thanks once again. Yes, we do like to travel independently but of course we're doing the trip as a family so you're never really alone LOL! We're so glad that we came in the winter 'cos I'm scared of the bears and I liked the fact that it would be less crowded and cooler. Let's hope Disneyland is the same!I had hoped that we would get to see an Indian Reserve but there was just no time. When we come again, we'll definately spend a minimum of 6 weeks....in 10 years time LOL!

Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.024s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0418s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb