(belatedly) the Grandee Canyon


Advertisement
Published: May 24th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Grand Canyon village area


Mr Mink does the CanyonMr Mink does the CanyonMr Mink does the Canyon

for those who complain I am never seen.....
about the Grand Canyon
(from San Diego on 23 May)
I think I will just do some snaps on this - too long after the event to write. Very glad I did the plane fight out there, rather than bus - the bus is a 13 hr day to get there and back and hotel pickups at 6.30am or so! - the plane flight was a mere 11.15am pickup to leave from Boulder City airport at 12.30. Small plane with about 15 seats and large under wing windows - and being on my own got a solo side seat. Glad I did not have any breakfast as small planes do "swing" a little. Most of the flight over featureless landscape so when bits of canyon country hove into view it was a bit more interesting. The plane lands at Grand Canyon airport which is about 15 mins bus away from the Southern Rim so there is no fly over. 9 of 15 or so - mostly Germans+ Dutch couple with sub-1 yr old baby?!- did the chopper thing but my budget did not run to that (it was 205 for plane trip - bus trips are ard 100- its easily worth it paying to save the boredom on the long bus trip) and the guy said you see more from the Rim as the chopper cannot go into the canyon but remain 500ft above. 2 Rim views -first at Bright Angel Lodge - then from Mathers Point. You will get the general drift fom the snaps. Was it the most awe-inspiring view I have ever seen in my life? er, well no - in terms of scale maybe, but it is so large it loses impact in a way. .


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Mathers Pt 6Mathers Pt 6
Mathers Pt 6

this is superwide lens on the above scenes
some kinda subdivision??some kinda subdivision??
some kinda subdivision??

where does the water come from here?!


24th May 2010

grand canyon
c if you had taken a tour u would have stayed ina lodge right on the rim and a 2 minute walk from the edge past the deer and other wildlife!! the other national parks in the us are better (zion ets) but GC is BBBBBBBIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGGGGG!! glad ur enjoying yourself note Stones are No 1 on the British Chart albums this week WTF (exile on main street 1972 remastered etc) have a good day from fellow retiree
24th May 2010

Hi Mike, More! great shots. The wide lens on Mathers Pt 6 looks superb. The day I went out most of the Jap's on the plane used the sick bags! Keep well, and onto the next one! Huddo.
25th May 2010

hangin' on the South Rim
yes Phil I could also have gone mad and hired a car and driven myself there too blah blah - but wish I had flown one way to Vegas and then driven down to San Diego - and booked direct with Luxor at 45$ per night. I seemed a good idea at the time.......

Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0321s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb