Day 35


Advertisement
Published: October 18th 2009
Edit Blog Post

October 17, 2009
Before today’s itinerary, a word about the little town we stayed in last night…It turns out that John-O LOVED the hotel and the town!!! He spoke to any person with a pulse, made friends with some winos in the next room and sat on the stoop in a plastic lounge chair (the building is made of cement blocks) drinking his cocktail and smoking a stogie…He thought he was the mayor!!!! And all this while poor Donna is hanging wet laundry all over their room in hopes that it would dry!!!
Anyway…we left the “little piece of heaven” at about 9:30 this morning. We did a bit of shopping in town…it really is a great spot. There is so much Route 66 memorabilia (Dick…it’s George Maharis) that if you’re old enough…I’m not …really…to remember the show, it was neat.
After purchasing everything we could that had “Route 66” printed on it, we started out for the Grand Canyon. We made good time and were standing on the south rim by noonish. What can I say about the Grand Canyon…I would never even begin to describe it’s grandeur. I’ll just say that when you first approach it, the Canyon lays there, open and vast and magnificent as if just waiting for you to embrace it…
We stopped at a couple of viewing spots and a wonderful gift shop with authentic Indian art, and then went to lunch…Mexican, Bills favorite. We all went to our rooms with the intention of regrouping for sunset at the Canyon but we were exhausted and decided to rest. We’ll have cocktails and eat at the hotel tonight.
Today’s Road Lesson: We got our kicks on Route 66!



Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



Tot: 0.166s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0548s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb