The Dates for Execution Set


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Florence
January 25th 2012
Published: January 27th 2012
Edit Blog Post

The Blue MistThe Blue MistThe Blue Mist

A Florence landmark, The Blue Mist hotel.
Prisons, both private and state, exist east of Florence. Two long term inmates have just been assigned dates for execution. Now, opposite the prisons on Highway 79 sits the Blue Mist Hotel. It is painted blue. The locals will tell you the name came as a result of executions. At one time capital punishment criminals were executed by gas. The gas would have a bluish tint to it, hence the Blue Mist. In the late 1980's the one prisoner scheduled for execution was given a compassionate furlough and met his mother-in-law at the Blue Mist. He ended up killing her and dismembering the body.

Journeyed to Box Canyon and the Coke Ovens today. We traversed 30 miles in the back country between Florence and Superior. Box Canyon is a walled canyon area. A narrow passage leads through this canyon area. At times walls are so close you can scrape your doors, real Arizona pinstriping. One has to be conscious of the weather. If rain has been in the area walls of water can do a great deal of damage to anything in these narrow crevices, including humans. Today's weather was spectacular, though.

After leaving the Box Canyon area we
The entrance to Box CanyonThe entrance to Box CanyonThe entrance to Box Canyon

This is gonna be a tight squeeze at times
headed for the coke ovens. According to the Territorial News in January of 2010, these beehive like structures were built in 1882 by the Consolidated Mining Company. However, a local historian claims a homesteader contends they were built by Scottish miners in 1850. One can take their pick as to the origin. The ovens are made of volcanic rock, dactite, and mortared with mud from the Gila River. They stand 35 feet high and 25 feet in diameter. From a distance they look like giant beehives. They did not produce coke. The actual purpose was to turn mesquite wood into charcoal. The charcoal would be used to create fire hot enough for the smelters which processed ore, mainly gold and silver.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Further inFurther in
Further in

Eyes need to be focused on the rocks in front and hoping those above stay that way
Exiting Box CanyonExiting Box Canyon
Exiting Box Canyon

Out of the canyon and up on a ridge.
Above the coke ovensAbove the coke ovens
Above the coke ovens

Approaching the coke ovens. They look like giant beehives.
Coke ovens from the backCoke ovens from the back
Coke ovens from the back

This view is from the back. The holes were created for a way to get mesquite into the kilns.
Standing at the entranceStanding at the entrance
Standing at the entrance

The doorway into the kilns is about 6 feet in height.
A small hot springA small hot spring
A small hot spring

The water coming out of this spring was quite warm.


Tot: 0.033s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 18; dbt: 0.0144s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1023.3kb