Waste or Wonder?


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Chandler
November 8th 2009
Published: June 16th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Reclamed Water --Magic In The DesertReclamed Water --Magic In The DesertReclamed Water --Magic In The Desert

This lovely waterfall oxygenates water for the fish below--which is what it's all about, really. A man made environment where fish and birdlife reproduce and live.
Geo: 33.3029, -111.841

We did a bird walk this morning at Veterans Oasis Park, a new reclamation project in Chandler. Reclamation meaning the end product of a waste water treatment facility.
We have a fish able lake here with limits and everything, a large wetland and an environmental education center on site.
Parks like this are an inspiration in the desert. Take a look at the pictures to see what I mean--would you guess it's genesis?

When you grow up web-footed in the Pacific Northwest, you don't think about where your water comes from. And reclaimed water? Yucky.
But here in the desert reclaimed water is what makes the golf possible. And in Arizona, golf is king.
Water courses through Phoenix like an Oregon holiday--wet and extravagant. I cringe to see man made ponds, lakes, waterfalls and rivers in this desert decorate developments like baubles on a tree.
But when you know they've salvaged water from the toilet, washing machine, dishwasher and tub using gravity, filters, microorganisms, chemicals and ultraviolet light--well, you wouldn't want to drink it, but it's okay now.
They also cool industrial plants with it, water highway medians & community common areas, and probably most importantly--return large portions of it to the aquifer.
OK, it's still kinda
Don't Drink It--Unless You're a FishDon't Drink It--Unless You're a FishDon't Drink It--Unless You're a Fish

Or a bird. Or an Egret.
yucky, but it's the savior of the desert, so I'll get over it.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Black Crested Stilt Black Crested Stilt
Black Crested Stilt

They have the longest legs--RED legs--of any bird proportional to their body, second only to the flamingo. So that's black and white with long red legs--quite a fashion chick.
Nancy  Spies an EgretNancy  Spies an Egret
Nancy Spies an Egret

If they can survive the vicious sibling rivalry as nestlings, the Great White Heron can live to be 23 years old.
How It WorksHow It Works
How It Works

Water is pumped from the lake to water the park.
Red Tailed Hawk TalkRed Tailed Hawk Talk
Red Tailed Hawk Talk

A great generalist, our guide explains, Red Tailed Hawks are everywhere.


8th November 2009

Looks like you are having great fun. Love the pictures!
8th November 2009

Thanks. I'm really glad you like the photos. We keep trying to find new things to do and see. It's a fastinating place. The other times we've been here we didn't do much exploring.
12th March 2012

so very beautiful i like 2 g. hehehehhehehehe
12th March 2012

Thanks. It makes looking at all those waterfalls a little less painful, knowing that they're using recycled water and not fresh.

Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.049s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb