Catalina State Park


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Catalina
March 23rd 2010
Published: March 24th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Gila Woodpecker Gila Woodpecker Gila Woodpecker

This is a male. There are a bunch of male and females here. They are really fun to watch!
This is some beautiful country here, people! Today was pretty nasty but we got some great pictures yesterday and it's supposed to be back up in the 70's tomorrow. The critters around here are amazing and so fun to watch! They are performing all sorts of spring rituals that are just fascinating. I haven't gotten pictures of all of the birds and other critters and there are some that just haven't turned out very well, but we have two weeks here to see what we can get. Tomorrow we are going to head southwest and go to the Sonora desert museum, the Honda race kart track, and then over to the Mount Lemmon ski area (that's right - I said SKI area). They have a ski lift that operates all year. We're going to ride it up and see the sights. In a couple of days we'll head down to the Mission Xavier De Lac which we hear is absolutely beautiful, then to Sabino Canyon. There is a boatload of stuff to do around here. Hopefully we will be able to get it done - or at least mostly done - in two weeks. Hope you enjoy the pictures!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

PyrrhuloxiaPyrrhuloxia
Pyrrhuloxia

This looks a lot like a female Cardinal, but it's actually a - well, what ever that is I put on the title....
Male cardinalMale cardinal
Male cardinal

Absolutey beautiful
LizardLizard
Lizard

This little guy posed for me up on the trail
WildflowersWildflowers
Wildflowers

It just blows me away that I can get wildflowers and cactus in the same shot.
Saquaro and flowersSaquaro and flowers
Saquaro and flowers

This area was really beautiful. Just full of poppies!
Ground squirrelGround squirrel
Ground squirrel

These guys are everywhere, but this one loves soy nuts!
Bob enjoying the weatherBob enjoying the weather
Bob enjoying the weather

This was a great day, and the view from our spot is really nice.


24th March 2010

:-)
I love the desert in a wet spring! You guys are so lucky. Gorgeous pics! Hugh missed getting a great one of Baxter on Sunday. My brother was over using my tractor backhoe to dig a trench to bring water up to the goat shed. Baxter was taking a big nap on the dirt piled up on the sides of the trench. Of course when Hugh got back with the camera, Bax was up looking for him!
24th March 2010

Dirt
That boy always did love the dirt! Did you get my new email? I haven't seen the new pics yet.... I'll keep looking for them!
24th March 2010

You guy's look like your having so much fun and can only tell you this that don't case is under review so hopefully we should hear something soon. Good picture of Bob by the way.

Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.042s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0319s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb