Seals of LeConte


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Wrangell
June 13th 2011
Published: June 15th 2011
Edit Blog Post

As Captain Jim drove the boat through the bergs and floating ice of Le Conte Fjord getting closer and closer to Le Conte Glacier, the amount of seals increased with the density of ice. In another month many of the bergs disappear. The fjord boasts a large population of Harbor Seals and their pups. The waters are protected and serve as a breeding, birthing and rearing site for the seals. June is the best month to see seal pups on the icebergs. I have uploaded more photos than anyone would want to see, but I found the experience absolutely exciting and it is fun to share with you. In the age of digital cameras it is easy to shoot lots of photos. Can you believe I deleted over half of my seal photos?

The harbor (or harbour) seal, also known as the common seal, is a true seal found along temperate and Arctic marine coastlines.

Common seals are brown, tan, or gray, with distinctive V-shaped nostrils. An adult can attain a length of 6.1 ft and a mass of 290 lb. Females outlive males (30–35 years versus 20–25 years). Common seals stick to familiar resting spots where they are protected from adverse weather conditions and predation, near a foraging area. Males may fight over mates underwater and on land. Females are believed to mate with the strongest males and generally bear a single pup, which they care for alone. Pups are able to swim and dive within hours of birth, and they develop quickly on their mothers' fat-rich milk. A fatty tissue layer called blubber is present under their skins and helps to maintain body temperature.

Seal hunting or sealing, once a common practice, is now illegal in most nations within the animal's range.



Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



15th June 2011

Very nice seal photos!
Very nice.

Tot: 0.151s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 57; dbt: 0.1121s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb