Whittier and wildlife


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Whittier
August 20th 2016
Published: July 28th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 60.775, -148.683

Today, we were due to board our cruise ship, an hour out of Anchorage in Whittier. However, being us, we decided to make a day of it and so caught a transfer to the port via a few scenic viewpoints. After our amazing breakfast provided by our host - fried pork steaks, roasted potatoes, curried apples and then masterful cinnamon pumpkin muffins, we made our way to or transport meeting place. When we boarded the coach, everyone was sat on the right hand side. We asked if that was for any reason and were assured that it was just coincidence, so we sat on the left. Big mistake. Big. Huge! Every turn in the road reveled gorgeous scenery. On the right. None of it was on the left!!!

Our first stop, after the humdrum scenery of Anchorage itself, was Beluga point - a renowned whale-watching area where you can often stand on the shore and see the mighty cetaceans as they pass by. As we got off the coach, a spectator told us that there were belugas in the water - a whole pod of them. However, to get to the coast, you had to cross the tracks of the railway, which we were forbidden from doing. So, we saw the shadows in the water and the occasional faint spout of water from afar and then hopped back on the coach.

We then passed beautiful scenery - amazing glaciers that were reflected on the still waters of the Cook Inlet - as we made our way to the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Centre which was incredible. Injured and orphaned animals are taken there to be looked after if it's impossible for them to be released back into the wild. The enclosures were large and thee animals looks well-cared for. We saw bears, wolves, elk, moose and caribou - all at close range. One of the bears was playing in the water, while one tiny cub was being taught how to forage by the trainers. It was a real treat and something we wouldn't have missed!

As we continued on our journey, along Alaska's main highway - a single lane carriageway that runs all the way from  Whittier to Anchorage, - we were treated to views of bald eagles as they perched on their nests and a vast waterfall caused by the snow-melt from the glacier. Eventually, we arrived at the main glacier in the area - the Portage Glacier - which was incredible. A vast lake reflected the glacier and the others surrounding it, while the sun had begin to come out, leaving blue sky which also reflected on the still water below. 

 After a brief stop for photos, we passed through the tunnel which would take us on to Whittier. The tunnel is a feat of engineering, allowing both trains and road traffic to pass through a single track under the mountain - they take it in turns every fifteen minutes to pass in either direction. It is the longest tunnel in North America and travelling through the darkness, it was daunting to think of the hours it must have taken to construct.

Soon, we arrived at the cruise ship - our little treat at the end of our epic trip. We boarded easily and quickly, unpacked, took part in our first quiz of many (coming second by one point!) and enjoyed dinner and a great show on board before hitting the sack ready for a long day at sea the following day. 

Advertisement



Tot: 0.144s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0499s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb