Orthodox Cathedral in Unalaska / Dutch Harbor


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Unalaska
March 30th 2007
Published: October 2nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Unalaska

The City of Unalaska, Alaska (no, that's not a typo)

Cathedral of Holy AscensionCathedral of Holy AscensionCathedral of Holy Ascension

A bald eagle sits on an Orthodox cross atop a cupola
There is a very old Russian Orthodox Cathedral here in Dutch Harbor. The formal name is the Russian Orthodox Cathedral of the Holy Ascension and is in the town of Unalaska. The site was first used for a cathedral in 1808. Father John Veniaminof (later canonized St. Innocent) led local Aleuts in building the first church in 1826. The church's distinctive cupolas have become a symbol of Unalaska. Sadly, time and weather took their toll on the church and by 1990 the cathedral was so badly deteriorated that it was placed at the top of the American heritage 12 Most Endangered Landmarks list. In 1996, the cathedral also was placed on the World Monument Watch List of the 100 most endangered sites in the world. Several million dollars and extensive renovations commenced in 1996 and the new alter was made with wood from the original cathedral.

I borrowed a camera from one of others to take these pictures. In the close-up you will notice a bald eagle perched on top of the Orthodox cross. Both pictures have the eagle but one is a close-up on the cross and another is a close-up we took from about 10 feet.


Additional photos below
Photos: 2, Displayed: 2


Advertisement

Close-UpClose-Up
Close-Up

Here's a closeup of a bald eagle, they're everywhere up here, like seagulls in San Diego.


Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0535s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb