Alaska Trip Day 11


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Tok
July 12th 2016
Published: July 13th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Forgot to mention that back on day 7 a chicken hawk swooped down from above when I was going down the road 75 mph and hit my mirror. Bent the mirror back and feathers went everywhere. This is the second time this has happened to me and it killed the hawk. Scared me pretty good and Bob had to dodge it following me.

Spent the night in Tok Alaska at a great place and great value. Fast Eddy's and also had a wonderful restaurant on premises. It was at mile 1313 on the Alaskan highway. Couple of bikers in the room next to us heading to Prudhoe Bay. I would love to do that trip but not with my bike as its no built for 400 miles of gravel.

The restaurant is highly rated on TA

While eating it dawned on me that this place is a gold mine. Any one driving into Alaska to visit from the south has to go right by this place twice. On the way in and on the way out. No other options.

Anyhow we headed north for Fairbanks and passed throug North Pole Alaska. You can have stuff sent from here to your kids at Christmas time and it will be post marked "north pole"

I thought that was kind of cool.

Views on the road up to Fairbanks was kind of mundane. Just 250 miles of hills and trees till you get to Delta Junction and its like a huge delta between mountains.
Went by Eielson AFB and took some pictures from the road.

After Fairbanks (just to say we been there as its just another large town) we headed down hwy 3 for Denali. Views on this road were incredible and it was a great road and well maintained.

We had perfect sunny weather today and even though we were 110 miles south of the arctic circle it was 84 degrees.

Arrived at our motel in Denali and I am impressed with Denali Bluffs which is the name of the hotel. Views of the park are incredible.

Tomorrow we take an 8 hour guided bus tour through Denali. Looking forward to it.

Signing off for now.

See you on day 12


Additional photos below
Photos: 34, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.213s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0795s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb