Whitehorse to Tok to Valdez


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Tok
September 12th 2013
Published: September 15th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Driving, driving, driving....

Okay, I admit that I took this trip because there were no internal flights, but boy, did I NOT realize how much driving there was on it. But again, long day, but not a bad day. Left Whitehorse around 8 am for Tok. We went through Tok on our way from Fairbanks to Dawson City, so I wan't expecting much at the end of the day.

Our first stop was at a historic wooden bridge that was pretty picturesque, but I didn't try and walk across it. Next we stopped at the Haines Junction Cultural Center, which is the gateway to Kluane National Park and Reserve. It had some very nice First Nation stuff as well as a really cool relief map of Alaska on the floor.

We crossed back from Canada to the US with no problems, and then we stopped at a spot where there is a bench that is half in the US and half in Yukon. Fun taking pictures there.

Last stop of the day was at the Tetlin Aminal Reserve. Gorgeous view point.

Sherry, our tour guide, had told us that the place in Tok, Young's Motel was on the rustic side. I didn't find it bad, the room was clean and pretty spacious. And the restaurant, Fast Eddy's had pretty good food.

We left Tok at 8 am for Valdez, passing through some pretty country. Our first "rest" break was in Mentasas, at the small store there. Sherry asked that if we were going to use their facilities, we buy something. Not difficult to do, since their prices for drinks were quite reasonable. They let us use the restrooms in the bar area, and does someone want to explain to me why the powder room was a dime, but the shave was only a nickel?

Next stop was the Wrangell-St. Elias Park Visitors' center. Took a nice walk along the ridge there.

Lunch was at Nummy's restaurant. Sherry had asked us all to give her our order so that she could call them in and stuff we be done and we wouldn't waste time. Unfortunately, her message didn't go through, since the owners were off moose hunting. But the waitress and cook did a great job, and we didn't lose too much time there. And since she didn't make some salads, she knocked some off of the prices.

I can now say I've touched the Alaska pipeline. There's an area where you are allowed to pull off the road near it and take pictures. It's kind of interesting, but got to admit, part of me was underwhelmed.

Got a look at Worthington Glacier before we went through Thompson Pass to Valdez, which at this time of year sometimes has snow in it. Apparently Valdez gtets a lot of snow but they manage to keep the pass open all years.

Had two photo stops at waterfalls before getting to Valdez proper, Bridal Veil Falls and Horsetail Falls. Bridal Veil Falls is pretty nice, but Horsetail Falls was even nicer, it's a bit wider and more scenic to my eyes.

Got in to Valdez around 5 pm and went straight to the Valdez Museum. Cute little place, but somehow I went through it the wrong way and went backwards in time. The earthquake that hit Anchorage in 1964 also caused damage down in Valdez, including a number of deaths and lots of damage to the docks.

Our hotel in Valdez was my least favorite of all the hotels on this trip. The room was shabby and just felt a little off.

Walked up the road and went to the local supermarket to get some stuff for dinner. We had to put out our luggage at 9 PM (yes, PM) because Bill, our driver would be taking our stuff to Anchorage by road while we went across Prince William Sound by boat. More on the boat ride in the next installment.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.236s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0705s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb