14 June Eielson AFB, AK to Tok, AK


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Tok
June 15th 2010
Published: June 15th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Sky was clear when we got up this AM so decided to go back to Fairbanks to try to get some pictures of Denali from the Overlook at the University of Alaska. On the way off the base, we stopped to wait for Charlie and Kerry (who took a wrong turn) to catch up and took some great photos of mountains (Mount Hayes 13000+ Ft) in the Alaska range right from the road on Eielson. Sky was clear when we go there, but there was too much haze to be able to get a Denali Photo - - so it was a bust! Oh, well, we tried.

Then headed down the Richardson Highway toward the Alaska Highway (The north end is actually in Delta Junction & NOT in Fairbanks). Saw some pretty awesome mountains in the Alaska range south of the Richardson Highway and then some more south of the Alaska Highway south of Delta Junction. Hard to get good pictures of them since all the pullouts were in places where the trees completely obscured the view! We found that about the only places with a clear view were where the road crossed a big river (Most of which are really wide braided rivers). Got a good picture of the Alaska Pipline bridge over the Tanana River.

When we stopped in Delta Junction, we went into the Visitors Center and took some pictures of the 1422 Mile Marker that marks the north end of the Alaska Highway.

Not too far before we got to Tok, we crossed the Delta River (I think) and were really surprised to see a lot of grounded river ice still in the river bed. We stopped in Tok to mail some postcards and visit the visitors center. Before we left the visitors center, Kerry called the campground where we planned to spend the night tonight - - they are closed because of all the rain they got yesterday. So we decided to stay here in Tok at the same campground we stayed in on the way up. We drove to the restaurant where the check-in is done and got there just in time. When I finished, Charlie was next and there were at least three couples behind her waiting to check-in. I believe they have sold all the spaces that have hook-ups.

We’ll try to make it to Whitehorse, Yukon tomorrow, but that is over 300 miles and the first 80 to 100 miles in Canada are in pretty rough shape - - we shall see. We notice that there are LOT MORE campers on the road than there were on our trip north. Most of them seem to be going north. Opening of the salmon season on June 11th may have a lot to do with the number of people traveling north.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Milepost 1422 Delta JunctionMilepost 1422 Delta Junction
Milepost 1422 Delta Junction

North Terminus of the Alask Highway


Tot: 0.202s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 16; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0869s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb