Day 15 Wasilla to Soldotna AK. 202 miles


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Soldotna
May 29th 2016
Published: May 29th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Left Wasilla at 8:00 driving to Portage via Anchorage. Cruised through Anchorage, the largest city in Alaska with a pop of approximately 300,000. Not much traffic on a Saturday morning.

We drove past magnificent scenery on the route to Portage and were entertained by lots of eagles and offspring.

Got our tickets for the Portage Glacier Cruise on the MV Ptarmigan. This was a one hour cruise that took us within 300 yards of the glacier. It was a beautiful clear day and we learned a lot of information from a U.S. Forest Service rep. Here's a small world story... the Captain's daughter lives in Roscoe, IL. Met a darling girl, Sarah from Seattle, and she took our photo against the Portage Glacier. We lunched at their 'Cafeteria and Gift Shop'.

Down the road a piece we spent a couple hours walking through the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center. Here in this nonprofit organization dedicated to preserving Alaska's wildlife, we saw Wood Bison (and 3 cubs), Musk Ox (and 2 cubs), Brown and Black Bear, Bull Elk, Sitka Black-tailed Deer, Moose, Porcupine, and Caribou. In 2015, the Center restored 130 wood bison to the Alaskan wilderness 300 miles west of Anchorage. This was a huge conservation effort as they had been declared extinct.

We took the Sterling Highway to Soldotna which is on the Kenai Peninsula. We crossed the beautiful turquoise waters of Kenai River in Cooper Landing. The world record King Salmon, caught on a line, was from this river - 97 lbs 4 oz!!

This was an amazing drive!!! A big Mama Moose crossed the road RIGHT in front of us with her two calves. We drove between the calves... So Mama Moose went back for the second calf. What a fabulous sight!

Stopped at Fred Meyer - what a great store for groceries and anything else you can imagine. We bought a feast for dinner and are headed for the Klondike RV Park. The boys grilled steaks and the girls need great side dishes. Another beautiful picturesque day.

Odometer 4152


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.137s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0462s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb