June 17--Johnson Lake to Kenai/Soldotna


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Soldotna
June 22nd 2011
Published: June 23rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Friday, June 17, 2011 Johnson Lake Sunny 64 degrees mileage 9990 to start the day



Drove back up the Sterling Highway toward the towns of Soldotna and Kenai, which really run together. On the way saw another female moose and her twin calves crossing the road. Apparently around the world, all moose calves are born between the last two weeks in May and the first week of June. If the cow is healthy, then she has twins. This time Valerie was able to stop and get pictures.

On the way to the Diamond M Ranch and RV park , where all the Roadtrekers were meeting, we stopped by the city docks overlooking some river marshes/wetlands to check for any ducks or shorebirds. They had a viewing platform in this area and a telescope set up but we saw nothing in the way of birds, but gulls. However, because of the air being clear, with nothing in front of us but the marsh, we were able to get a good look at the two active volcanoes across Cook Islet. You could see the steam coming out of Mount Redoubt.

Got to the RV park by noon, checked in, and made lunch. We connected Rosie II to the electricity and water and then our computers to their Wifi. We got there early to be able to send out our blog postings and to clean and organize. We have now been gone 9 weeks and things needed a good cleaning. It is easier to do so with running water and electricity for the hand vac.

That evening, the owners of the RV Park put on a fresh clam chowder, fried fiddle head ferns, fried clams, fried onion rings, halibut, and salmon dinner for everyone staying in their park that were willing to pay $10 a meal. The few times we have bought a meal out at a restaurant, we paid $12 for a hamburger and $7 for a bowl of soup, so, we thought this was a bargain. It was also nice to socialize with the whole group of Roadtrekkers that had not been together since Dawson Creek.

After dinner, put stuff we still had out, away, and sent more of this blog. Called it a night.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0414s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb