Alaska, Canada and NYC day 11


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Seward
June 8th 2014
Published: June 16th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Up really early this morning - 0630 bag pull. We are heading south to Seward with an early stop at the Alaskan wildlife centre. They rehabilitate wild animals and where possible re-introduce them to the wild.

At last, bears.. may not have been really in the wild but they were wild bears that would have still ripped you apart. Other animals like caribou, elk, musk ox, bison, fox, owl, lynx and porcupine. Still reckon what I aw in Denali wasn't a porcupine but never mind, I don't hold grudges.......

Out of there and on to Seward where we are to join a 6 hour boat trip into the Kenai peninsula fiords. On our boat and out of the harbour - with our cruise ship in port as well - bloody big ship.

Out we go and not far into the trip we stop to look at sea otters lying back luxuriating in the cold waters. Onward and we see some mountain goats, then bingo, whales - humpbacks. Major photo opportunity here. Breaching, tails slaps, etc. All pretty excited on board. See lots of bird life and seals but pales against the whales (poet and I didn't know it.....).

Further in and shown some far off glaciers, but the best is to come. Just as they start to serve lunch, more whales - much closer this time. More photos, ooh ahh..

Also see Dall Porpoise - a form of dolphin mixed with an Orca - big nosed and leaped across the bow of the boat but not as well as our bottle nose dolphins.

Eventually get to eat. Arrive at our destination glacier - Aialik glacier. Lots of floating ice as we come in. Pull up close to this majestic glacier and soon it starts calving ice into the water - big cracks, bangs and splashes - wow.....

We stay there for about 30 mins with lots of ice dropping - Ranger Chad reckons this is the most activity he has seen for some time.

Eventually leave when another boat pulls up. On our way back, more whales. We go to a Puffin rookery (funny little birds that live way out to sea but come back to land to drop eggs and hatch young). Other birds like penguins that fly and dive for their fish (common mures).

All in all, a great days wildlife spotting. We got to a point where we saw more whales that were a way off the boat so ignored them.

Into port and we have to bid farewell to 6 of our travel companions who aren't coming on the cruise. We are a little concerned about the cruise as everyone else had doco about their rooms, etc. - we didn't. Jen (travel director) kept saying no problems. On the bus for the last time to the cruise terminal. Fond farewells for Jen and Lori then into the terminal. Answer health questions and line up for our check in.

Geoffrey attaches himself to us - not sure if he is concerned about the process or what. Get to the check in and all good - room waiting. Through security and beeps all over the place - one a zipper, the other a passport screen bag that is meant to protect them from illegal scanning. I am hand wander and have the offending items re-scanned then all good to go.

On board and organised chaos - we need to go to level 9. Find our room - perfect with balcony and queen size bed. Bags waiting for us so even better. Have to do emergency drill, line up as told and an officer comes along to check our room - where are you from he asks - he is from Captains Flat just outside Canberra.

Meet Julie and Greg from the bus and invite them back to our room to watch the ship depart. Tata to Seward. Julie and Greg are set to sit at table 62, we are at table 60. Finally find the restaurant and get shown to out tables, guess what, all sitting with tour buddies so no introductions required.

Dinner quite good, wander a little bit but decide to crash early'ish (2359).....

Advertisement



Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0337s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1014.7kb