Day 19 - Enjoying the freedom of independent travel!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Seward
August 27th 2013
Published: August 28th 2013
Edit Blog Post

imageimageimage

At Kenai river
Early morning start to make the most of day exploring the area - Soldotna to Seward.
We bought ourselves a thermos and now we can stop at the garages along the way and fill up the thermos with brewed coffee for under $2.

Drove to Coopers Landing admiring the Kenai river along the way. Found a picnic area close by the river to have breakfast. The water is so blue it is hard to believe it is even real. It was just like looking at a postcard picture but we were there! Watched people fishing in small boats - salmon jumping everywhere.

One of joys of independent travel is taking detours and discovering sights you never knew existed. Today was one of those days. We took a side road off the highway into Chugach national forest and ended up stumbling across some unexpected sights. Sockeye salmon swimming in Crescent Creek and more stunning lake views of Kenai lake.

Since being here in Alaska we now have the smell of salmon etched in our minds forever. We also have a greater appreciation for these fish and the journeys they take to go back to their spawning grounds.The bears that
imageimageimage

Oil rig near Sterling
live in these parts of Alaska are very well fed animals.

Quick stop over in Moose Pass where we purchased some local jerky - salmon and venison.

Close by to Seward is the entry to Kenai National Parks Exit Glacier. Took a park ranger walk up to the edge of the glacier. It was a very interesting walk and we learnt lots about the glacier and the national park. Exit Glacier is receding very quickly partly due to global warming and also due to normal changes in weather cycles.

It was about a mile hike up to edge of the glacier. It was a hot walk but as you get closer to the glacier the wind gets strong and it gets very cold. It is amazing the to feel the change in temperature as you get closer to the glacier.

We are staying the night in Seward. Time to catch up on laundry and hopefully an early night.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

imageimage
image

Park ranger at exit glacier
imageimage
image

On the edge of exit glacier
imageimage
image

Breakfast at a picnic spot in Coopers Landing
imageimage
image

Fishing on the Kenai river
imageimage
image

Kenai lake
imageimage
image

Moose Pass
imageimage
image

At Moose Pass
imageimage
image

Jerky at Moose Pass
imageimage
image

Exit Glacier
imageimage
image

Fishing at Coopers Landing
imageimage
image

Kayakers on the Kenai river
imageimage
image

Sockeye salmon in quartz creek


Tot: 0.04s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0218s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb