Road Trip Aug 12 - Seward


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Seward
August 15th 2012
Published: August 15th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Left behind the cruise ship and all the free food and service at your beck and call today at Whittier. Picked up a rental car and 2 additional friends from the airport and headed to Seward where we checked into Renfros Lakeside Retreat on KenaiLake surrounded by KenaiMountains.

The cabins are very well maintained and backed right up to the lake with a fire pit in front of each cabin.



After checking in we headed to Kenai Fjords national park were we spent the afternoon hiking to the local glacier. We were able to hike up close and personal to the glacier and I got some really good pictures. I hope they are able to reflect the blue color that gets trapped inside the glacier when they re-crystallize capturing the color prism and reflecting the blue.



After dinner we headed to the store and bought the makings for smores for the fire pit out front. Our attempt to make a fire was pretty sad and we decided if we were stranded in the woods we would survive until nightfall. We finally got it started with the help of a neighbor from another cabin who had fuel to start a fire and had located a dead tree that was pretty dry for kindling. Once we got the fire going I was surprised at how much heat it put off. It kept me pretty warm as I was sitting beside a lake with the wind blowing at about 10 mph.



Tomorrow Seavey’s Ididaride.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0471s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb