Anchor Point, AK to Seward, AK


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Seward
June 9th 2010
Published: June 10th 2010
Edit Blog Post

It was cold this morning (38 Degrees). It warmed up pretty quickly and turned out to be a very pleasant day. We broke camp and drove north on the Stirling Hwy. South of Soldotna we saw a large bull moose in the road right of way. He was looking directly at us so all we got was head on photos. Saw a bunch of eagles but didn't get a single photo. We stopped in Sterling at an Antler Shop that sold antlers and carved antlers and other neat stuff. Gena bought a chunk of Moose antler carved with an eagle's head - - really neat. Arrived at the Army Resort in Seward and was able to get two spaces side by side. The spaces are really narrow, so the neighbors are literally about 4 ft away. It's only one night. After we got the campers set up, our driver (Kerry) took us to Exit Glacier in Kenai Fjords NP. Gena & Charlie got patches and stamped in the visitor center. Then we walked out to the outwash plain and Kerry and I walked up to the end of the trail closest to the glacier. We were within about 40 ft of the glacier. Turns out it is called Exit Glacier because it was where the first explorers decended from the Harding Ice Field back down to sea level. Then drove to down town Seward where we saw a sea otter chowing down on some kind of mollusc. Saw a guy climbing Mt. Marathon at about 5:30 - - He had at least another thousand vertical feet to climb before he reached the top. It was windy and cold so he had to be freezing in the wind while sweating up a storm from the exertion of climbing. I suspect that he was going up the same trail that they use for the Mount Marathon Race they do every year - - they get a couple thousand people that RUN up the mountain and back - - they're all NUTS!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Unusual Plant at Exit GlacierUnusual Plant at Exit Glacier
Unusual Plant at Exit Glacier

Only saw one of these, don't know what it is, but thought it was really pretty.
Charlie, Bob & Kerry on trailCharlie, Bob & Kerry on trail
Charlie, Bob & Kerry on trail

Walking out to see Exit Glacier in Kenai Fjords NP.
Exit GlacierExit Glacier
Exit Glacier

Notice the people in the lower center of the photo - -They're adults


Tot: 0.266s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0603s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb