Homer to Seward


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Seward
June 5th 2008
Published: June 8th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Homer to Seward


Exit GlacierExit GlacierExit Glacier

You can walk right up and touch this Glacier
Damp cool weather continues, with strong winds blowing off the water and low clouds hanging over the mountains. We left Homer and drove back through Soldotna and stopped at Fred Meyers for a repair kit for the tent. We have a small hole in the boot that goes around the hatch.

The scenery today was mountains and clouds dampened with showers. We arrived in Seward, which we found to be a quaint port town. There was a cruise ship at the docks and lots of other boats including site-seeing boats that take you to see wildlife and glaciers. We had lunch in town and then spoke to a ranger at the National Parks Office about seeing Kenai National Park. We have been trying to determine if we want to take a boat out of Seward or Whittier. The ranger told us that you see more wildlife here and more glaciers in Whittier. We decided we would rather see the wildlife and plan on taking a trip tomorrow.

We found a campsite at Stony Creek, which was a nice campground with clean facilities and free wi-fi. We then drove out to Exit Glacier, just a few miles away and saw the glacier and were actually able to walk right up and touch it. This was our first up close and personal encounter with a glacier.

A check of the weather forecast for the next week, shows mid-40’s and 60-80% of showers or light rain every day. Welcome to the south coast of Alaska.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

SewardSeward
Seward

As seen from riving back from Miller's Landing
Moose ScatMoose Scat
Moose Scat

You need to be careful where you walk on the trails around Exit Glacier, this stuff is everywhere


Tot: 0.177s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 24; qc: 93; dbt: 0.0747s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb