Palmer, Alaska - July 27-28-29


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Palmer
August 3rd 2015
Published: August 3rd 2015
Edit Blog Post

Our next stop was Palmer, 226 miles from Valdez. We got here on Monday afternoon, and after setting up (and we have gotten very good at moving this motorhome by now), we had another travel meeting followed by our first campfire, complete with smores. I also found it a great time to do laundry, as the laundry room was next to the fire pit. However, by the time I finished, many of the group members were calling it a night .... I don't think they stay up quite as long as we do. We have not quite adjusted to daylight still at 11:30pm.

Tuesday we joined the group as we toured the city of Palmer. Back in 1935 the US government offered 204 families from northern Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan an opportunity to receive 40 acres of land in or near Palmer, a house, a barn, a well and an outbuilding, as well as a 30 year, $3,000 loan. As it was, the buildings were not completed when the families arrived, leaving them to live the first winter in tents. About 60% of these families did not make it through the first few years. Some replacement families were recruited and some have permanent homes here. After a group lunch, we visited the Musk Ox Farm before being free to check out the area on our own. Jim and I took a short drive to Wasila ... the home of Sarah Palin. Once back in Palmer we stopped for a few groceries ... just in time for the earthquake. I was checking out at the time and did not notice anything, but Jim was walking into the adjoining liquor store as the clerk pointed out the shelves were shaking. It was quick and slight where we were, but we enjoyed everyone else's stories when back at the campground.

Next stop .... Seward ... and another cruise through the Kenai Fjords.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.295s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0682s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb