Lazy Mountain


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Palmer
June 29th 2011
Published: July 18th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Lazy Mountain, as we quickly found out, is not so lazy. In fact, it is rather challenging and steep pretty much the entire hike to the peak. The first section was particularly exhausting because the trail didn't even bother with switch-backs. It did tend to level off a bit on the last half of the hike, which made it a bit less rough the further along we went.

From the parking lot at the base, the trail ascended through somewhat dense foliage. Then, the trail headed strait up the mountain for a ways, with occasional steps built right into the path. About a third of the way up, we reached a bench for a short break. At this point we had thought we were at the top of the mountain and began celebrating. We quickly found out that not only were we not at the top, but we had another three peaks to climb!

After passing the bench, the trail became slightly less steep, and the landscape changed from forest to rocky tundra. Another bench was located just below the actual top of lazy mountain. From the top, and along much of the way, we could see a great view of nearby Matanuska peak, as well as Pioneer Peak, Twin Peaks, and Bodenburg Butte to the south.

The top of the peak made the hike totally worth it with the 365 degree views of the mountains all around and the valley below. Coming back down was actually the real challenge as the trail was so steep at times with loose rocks and gravel. We rewarded ourselves with two tall ice cold beers at a local bar in town. Mmmm delicious!!!





Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0324s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb