Day 57 - Santa, Pipeline, Ice and Lights


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » North Pole
June 26th 2013
Published: June 27th 2013
Edit Blog Post

This morning we took a trip to Santa's house. A great little village where we were able to see Christmas Alaska style. Joe and I even got to sit on Santa's lap. Outside we saw all of his Reindeer. They are shedding their winter coats so they look kind of funny. Next we headed up north to see the Alaskan Pipeline up close and personal. It's an amazing thing to see. We then headed downtown to look for something to eat. We found a place called Soapy Smith's Pioneer Restaurant. While we were eating lunch the owner, Dick, introduced us to a lady eskimo who was selling a Baleen. We were able look at it up close and touch it. She told us this season for hunting whales was very poor because the water levels were so low. A baleen is a filter-feeder system inside the mouths of whales. When the eskimo hunts and kills a whale for food they take out the baleen and sell it. Baleen is used to make jewelry and baskets. After lunch we visited the Ice Museum where we saw various ice carvings and learned about the international carving competition held in Fairbanks every year. They have a huge ice park for the carvings and even a kids park with slides and moving ice rides. You have to check out their website - www.icealaska.com. Too darn bad we live so far from Alaska's, the grandkids would have a blast at the ice park. We went into the ice carving room where the temperature (23 degrees) is the same as when they have the carving competition the end of February. Living in south Texas for the last 13 years has definitely made my blood thin. It was darn cold in that room. Tonight we went back to the Ice Museum and saw an amazing photo show about the Northern Lights. Seeing this photo show makes me want to see the Northern Lights in person even more. You can see some of the photos at www.leroyzimmerman.com.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



Tot: 0.247s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1155s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb