Alaska - Day 11


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Ketchikan
July 3rd 2017
Published: July 4th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Downtown KetchikanDowntown KetchikanDowntown Ketchikan

Small port city, where everyone seems to sell jewelry, creams, and are like the hustlers on Bourbon street to get you in their store.
Day 11 –Ketchikan

Today we started our day in the port of Ketchikan around 10AM. We had an excursion planned to visit the Totem Bight Park. I had always read it as the Totem Bright park, but it is Bight. The Bight is the term referring to the bay area, that looks like a monster took a bite out of the land to make a body of water.

The Totem park is a tribute to the native people that told their stories using totem poles, and each clan had their own poles. The term that I had always heard was “I’m the low man on the totem pole” meaning the least significant person. In fact, that is opposite of the meaning. The bottom man on the totem pole is the most significant.

We had lunch before we took off to the Totem Park, at the most recommended place in town, by the locals. They said it would be the most crowded, but was worth the wait. We waited about 10 minutes in the damp misty rain, to place our order, sit down, and then eat or “fish and chips”.

Off to the Totem Park, and then back
Ketchikan looking to the inland.Ketchikan looking to the inland.Ketchikan looking to the inland.

It is a very pretty town.
on board before we set sail.



Stay tuned… tomorrow is a day at sea.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

VolendamVolendam
Volendam

Our ship docked in downtown Ketchikan, with the market and shops right across the street.
The Clan house in Totem Bight ParkThe Clan house in Totem Bight Park
The Clan house in Totem Bight Park

This is a reconstructed Clan House built by the natives, using the same tools they used and the same techniques they used. It was an interesting tour.
Towel art from last night.Towel art from last night.
Towel art from last night.

I did take a picture with the phone, which is how we have this.


Tot: 0.232s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 9; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0623s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb