alaska 1


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Ketchikan
July 12th 2008
Published: July 12th 2008
Edit Blog Post

sunsetsunsetsunset

this was taken off our dock. we don't always get sunsets, but we always have this view.
So Brandi & I have spent over a month in Alaska.

We got here on time for the longest day of the year, it was a dusky kind of light out until a little after midnight, and we were told it was light again around 3:30 or 4 the next morning, but neither of us could verify that. The weather has been sometimes sunny and beautiful, but mostly gray, and often rainy. It never gets really cold or really hot, which makes sense considering the island of Ketchikan is actually a temperate rain forest.

The scenery is amazing. We live right on the ocean, there are bald eagles everywhere, we've seen whales, and seals, and of course massive fish. A guest pulled up a halibut today that was over six feet in length.

As for the resort we work at, it isn't exactly what we expected. It's kind of run down, not exactly resort-ish. It's also owned, and largely staffed by mormons. We were not expecting that. Most of the seasonal help are teenagers from Idaho or Utah. We were kind of expecting more people like ourselves, but it's cool. It promises to be an educational and interesting
totem housetotem housetotem house

this was taken at totem bight. totem poles are still being made by native craftsmen.
summer. Every body is really extremely nice, almost too nice.

We're about twenty miles outside of town. Town itself is a pretty cool place, it plays host to hundreds of tourists who come on massive cruise ships, so there's a bunch of cheesy, over priced stuff. But already we've seen a lumberjack show, and been to the old brothel house/museum.

We usually get one day off work a week, and try to make the most of it. There's some really nice hikes through the rain forest, stuff to do in town, beaches, and so on.

That's about it for now, we'll try to post more as we get more pictures and stories. Both of us do have cell reception, and internet if anybody needs to reach us.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

eagle eating fisheagle eating fish
eagle eating fish

these things are all over the place
wes' first catchwes' first catch
wes' first catch

a massive perch off the dock
creek streetcreek street
creek street

the main tourist street in town, built above a creek.
boating brandiboating brandi
boating brandi

we get to take the skiffs out if nobody is using them.
great big sluggreat big slug
great big slug

there's tons of em out in the forest


Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0552s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb