Kenai - Kenai Pennisula


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Kenai
July 29th 2012
Published: July 29th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Our RV park is located between Soldotna and Kenai on the Kenai Pennisula. This area is very busy with people coming here to fish. We drove to the town of Kenai today. I took a picture overlooking the Cook inlet joining the Kenai River. Hopefully, you can see all of the people dip netting for salmon. They are literally standing next to each other. They are on both sides of the inlet. They had their tents set up there also. The dip net season for salmon started July 10 and ends July 31. They use a 48" diameter loop net that is on a long pole. They all had on heavy waders as I am sure the water was cold. The air temperature was around 60. I am not sure of the maxium take on this area of water but probably is 3 to 6 per person per day. I am sure a lot of the people that are here in the RV park came to fish. There is even a fish cleaning station set up. Jim talked to a man today who went fishing for salmon with a rod and reel. He got his quota of 6 in l l/2 hours. The RV park here has several acres of ground with llamas, and other animals. They also have a nice garden. They have a nice raised viewing deck attached to the main house. They had a grilled fish potluck social there tonight. Everyone in the park was invited. The man who owns the park grilled salmon and halibut . They also had a very nice salad with items from their garden. We also had a rhubarb crunch using rhubarb from the garden. Lots of good food. While we were there we saw some caribou and moose in the preserve behind the viewing deck. Jim said that he even saw a bald eagle. I talked to one lady that works in the office at the park. She said that she and her husband and two other couples came here to work from May to Sept. She said that they wanted to come to Alaska and found this opportunity caled Work Camp. She and her husband both work 3 days a week, 6 hrs. a day. They then get to park their rv in the park. I think this is kind of neat - you work 3 days and have 4 days off to enjoy yourself and don't have to pay for your campsite. I am sure this is a good opportunity for the owners too.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0645s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb