We dock in Juneau


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Juneau
June 23rd 2007
Published: June 23rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

We docked in Juneau at about 11:00 with sail in music up in The Crow's nest. Then we all troop off the ship down the gangway to sight see and shop. We have our photos taken hugging the Alaskan Polar Bear for the scrap book. John & Scott & I set off walking to explore Juneau. We find the Russian and Catholic Churches, then walk down to the Alaska State Capitol Building. John poses in front of the Fairweater Fisherman Statue. We walk down the hill to shopping area - in search of the perfect xmas tree ornament, T shirt, magnet (s), and other tourist paraphenilla. John goes back to ship while Scott and I find a cute little "mom & pop hole in the wall" shop that has every tourist item one could want. The perfect location - right across the street from the ship! We each get our obligatory T-shirt and magnet. We successfully avoided the salt&pepper shakers, Alaska pot holder,bar towel, can opener, corkscrew, souvenier spoon though. Then Scott and I return to the ship for lunch and then a short wait for the Alaska Native Artist Workshop to start. Native artist Benjamin Schleifman, who has a unique background of totemic design blended with contemporary form, showed us how to make our own mineature drum. He also shared with us his extensive knowledge of drums - their use and construction.
Then on to another delicious dinner and a sparkeling show by the Amsterdam Singers and Dancers afterwards in the Queen's Lounge Theater. Slept well in our comfortable bed / less rocking by the waves compared to last night. Or perhaps we all have our "sea legs" established.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Radience of the Seas in JuneauRadience of the Seas in Juneau
Radience of the Seas in Juneau

"our ship" from the Panama Canal trip! We can see our former room.
John with ship's bellJohn with ship's bell
John with ship's bell

Bow of the Amsterdam


1st July 2007

Modifiers
Love those towel animals!!
11th July 2007

Sunday
I was glad to go to Jeneau with Marty. I had so much fun shopping in the mom and pop store. Marty helped me pick out the T shirt I liked with a map on it. We had fun looking at the refridgerator magets and seeing the Russian church.

Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.042s; cc: 17; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0355s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb