September 30 - Homer


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Homer
September 30th 2011
Published: November 30th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Talk about a rest day. Dan and I got up at about 8 am and got to the free continental breakfast before it closed but then we were back in bed, me watching a movie and Dan catching up on some sleep. That saw us through till lunch at which time we decided to see what we could find off the resort. This lead us to the Salty Dawg. Unfortunately, they didn’t serve food (unless you count microwave hot dogs and potato chips food. We did not. So we went next door to the Asian-American place before headed into town to see what was there. First though we went looking for the Time Bandit from the TV show Deadliest Catch. We found it, and we saw a couple of crew members. Dan got them on video. They were cool about getting videoed. They acknowledged Dan and said “hi”. Next we went into town to see what we could find. We didn’t find much but there was a store for Time Bandit memorabilia. Cool store. The ladies running it were super nice.
Next, round two of lying around. We went back to the hotel to see if we could get massages. There was only one slot available and Dan graciously left it to me while he sacked out in the room. Here is where it get’s truly interesting. We discovered that one of the hotel managers was from Apopka, FL and the Masseuse was from Deland. Turns out there are a lot of Floridians that wind up in Homer. We met up in the hot tub later for the start of happy hour. We didn’t say long. There were three women already in the tub when I got there and they were talking Dan’s ear off. With fresh meat (yours truly) they had even more to talk about. We decided to go back to the room and get ready for an evening on the town.
We had dinner at a really great place. It was called Crabbies. We were waited on by one of the owners who was our kind of people; dry humor and full of one liners. She was a joy to talk to and the food was great. Here comes the Florida connection again. Turns out she used to live in the Sarasota area before moving to Alaska. She also once worked for Northwest Airlines and had nothing nice to say about Alaska Airlines.
We followed up the great meal with drinks at the Salty Dawg. It was a quaint little cash only bar with a long history and a boat load of $1 bills on the walls and ceilings. We played a round of pool and got some conversation at the bar rolling. Florida coincidence number 4, one of the ladies at the bar had just moved to Anchorage from the Merritt Island area a week ago. A T-shirt and sweatshirt later we were headed back to the hotel for the night. Hard to believe we could still sleep after all the “rest” today but we did; all be it late.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0231s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb