Jun2 13 and June 14--Homer, Alaska


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Homer
June 22nd 2011
Published: June 22nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Monday-Tuesday, the 13th-14th Homer Spit weather mostly thick fog and rainy 48-50 degrees 9859-9879 mileage.



Monday

---read and slept until noon. Gathered up and did 5 loads of laundry at local laundromat that had wifi. Spent almost $40 to do so, as wash was $4.00 a load and dryer was .25 for 4 minutes.

Drove up one of the residential roads that curved up on the hill and saw a pheasant male run across the road in front of us. In one of the lakes you crossed, we saw a mother duck with about 12 babies. Unfortunately, there was also an eagle nest across the road and we are not sure how many of those ducklings will be able to grow into adults. Moved down the spit to another campsite with 7-8 other Roadtreks.

Tuesday

---Booked and took an all day tour of the Kachemak Bay islands and then over to the town of Seldovia.

Gull Island was absolutely full of nesting gulls, some puffins, cormorants, and murres. The islands were very picturesque with cabins here and there and groups of kayakers in bright colored kayaks darting here and there. On one island, near a large piece of driftwood, the boat captain pointed out a pair of oystercatchers and their chicks.

The town of Seldovia is very small now, but at one time prior to the ’64 earthquake it had 3 large fish canneries and was a thriving town. The whole town was wiped out with the tsunami that resulted from the ’64 quake, and it never recovered from it. Had lunch in a local café, walked around and looked at a couple shops, the Russian Orthodox church built in 1902, their chain saw carvings, and went through a small museum.

Caught the boat for a trip back to Homer. Drove into town for gas and propane as we were low on both and knew we would be cold if didn’t at least get one tank filled. As it happened the gas station sold both so filled up both tanks. Rosie II took 17 gal of gas and 5.4 gals of propane.



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.027s; cc: 14; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0224s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb