Alaska, Canada and NYC Day 14


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Haines
June 11th 2014
Published: June 16th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Shore day today - Haines and Skagway. Some have early trips booked, but we decide to just take our time. Get off the ship and see the ferry to Skagway so make enquiries, booked on the 1100 ferry to return at 1600. No spare seats so lucky to get on. Interesting trip about 40 mins with great sights of waterfalls, eagles and other bits of scenery.

Come into Skagway and there are 4 cruise ships in port. Lots of people do the train trip up to whites pass. We decided to give that one a miss and just wander around the town. Main Street looks like it should be in an old time western movie set. Lots of gift shops as usual...

The train used to run up the Main Street but now just stops at the end of the street. Real tourist setup - more jewellery shops than you can shake a stick at - lots looking very dubious dudes running them - reminded me a little of Lyon street with all the sprinklers as well....

Did the walk around the town, old museum and had a sandwich from the local bakery (off the Main Street so good value and very local). Do the souvenir shopping and head back to the ferry. Meet Greg and Julie on our back. Get back to Haines and do the downtown walk (not much of downtown to see either).

Up the hill to fort Seward then back to the ship. Busy day of wandering but happy to put the feet up and relax on board.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.329s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0956s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb