Polished by a Glacier in Dundas Bay


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Glacier Bay
August 12th 2007
Published: August 31st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Taylor Bay ViewTaylor Bay ViewTaylor Bay View

The milky colored water is from the glacier melt waters of the Brady Glacier, full of silt.
The weather drives us. Weekends of clouds keep us low, kayaking the coast. Why climb a mountain to be in the clouds? Nate says you just got to go… you never really know what the weather will be like the next day. And it’s true. But the weekend was starting blue sky and the forecast was good. So pau hana work on Friday early and off we went!

Through the muskeg was easy, then the route we’d targeted ended in a steep wall. We backtracked and tried a different route. Ended up camping in the woods because we just didn’t have time to break out in to the subalpine. Next day was spectacular and we made it to the top.

Mt Jim, the mountains there but you won’t find the name on any map. There are a lot of unnamed landforms in Glacier Bay National Park. It is actually policy to leave places unnamed; it’s considered a component of maintaining a wilderness quality to the landscape. So 'Mt Jim' is our name, you climb it you can call it anything you want!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Inian IslandsInian Islands
Inian Islands

Cross Sound to the right and Chichagof Island behind.
Fairweather Range and Dundas BayFairweather Range and Dundas Bay
Fairweather Range and Dundas Bay

Mt. LaPerouse, Mt Crillon and Mt Bertha off in the distance. The Brady Glacier through the Oscar River gap and Dundas Bay just below.


Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0297s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb