Fairbanks - In and Around


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Fairbanks
July 24th 2016
Published: July 24th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Sorry, I know it’s been a while but we actually took some time off while we were in Fairbanks. Kind of a vacation away from our vacation. I got off the computer, did a little fishing, read a book, watched some TV (we had cable!!) and relaxed at the wonderful River’s Edge RV Resort. That’s not to say that we didn’t do everything in Fairbanks that we had planned but we ended up there for an extra four days because the Birch Lake Fam Camp, a military campground and our next stop, was closed due to personnel cutbacks. It all worked out though. Our first day in Fairbanks was Wayne and Ronda’s last day in Alaska and we joined them on the Riverboat Discovery Cruise on the Chena River. This cruise was a very well done and entertaining including a stop at an “Alaskan Village” along with a float plane takeoff and landing demonstration, a stop at Susan Butchers Sled Dog Kennel with a sled dog run and very educational narration about the river and river boats during the gold rush. I highly recommend this cruise if you have a day in Fairbanks. One thing we did have in Fairbanks was some beautiful weather so we took the opportunity to head out on a clear day for the Dalton Highway or as the locals call it, The Haul Road. Our original intent was to drive to the Arctic Circle which is a 10 hour round trip but we got started late, got distracted by the Alaska Pipeline information station, and sometimes we just get tired of driving. So we did a good portion of the lower half and turned around, making it back to the trailer late and tired. We cannot find the “I Almost Made it to the Arctic Circle” tee-shirt. The next morning we continued to take advantage of the warm weather and went to Chena Lake State Park but not before stopping at Sportsmen's Warehouse and purchasing a nice rubber raft. No pictures of this outing but we had a great day on the lake, caught some fish and will be bringing home a nice raft that we can use on St. Mary’s Lake. With rain in the forecast we spent our last sunny day in town visiting Pioneer Park. This great little free city park has a huge parking lot that allows overnight RV parking if you are just passing through. We had a good time touring the exhibits, reading about the history of Fairbanks, and wandering through the little shops in this family oriented downtown park. Most of the shops featured native Alaskan handmade goods and we bought a few things so we can continue to do our part to support the local economy. Believe me, we have done our part. If you remember back not so long ago when we first arrived in Alaska we turned south to Anchorage, leaving the Alaska Highway, which left a small portion of that trek undone. In our mind that just had to be remedied so we drove the last portion, took the pictures and got the tee-shirt. As predicted the rain settled in and we kicked back for a few days. I took the truck to the local Dodge dealership for oil and air filter change and had them check all the vitals as we start to look at heading south soon. We spent our last days in Fairbanks restocking the RV pantry and doing a ton of wash. We had one other good day trip but I am saving that for the grandkids. We rolled out for Glennallen on a drizzly morning and drove most of the day in a steady rain taking our time, drinking coffee, and singing country music with a good FM radio station.


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



25th July 2016
Miserable day towing the fifth wheel through this

:)
Love seeing the pictures :) You guys look great! xoxo
25th July 2016

Artic Circle
Ray, Michelle, You almost made it but.... too much good stuff to see on the way. I am not sure I would have made it as far as you because I like to see everything. Great pictures. Maybe we should change the name of our road. Michelle is definitely getting stronger, holding the pipeline until can get proper support. There really is a Santa, I saw the pictures of both of you on his lap (one at a time). Rainy days and driving a 5th wheel can make for long tiring driving. Keep living the dream.
25th July 2016

Almost Over ;-(
This is our last week, move up to TOK for 2 days tomorrow and head out for Canada on Friday. Hope to be home before the Labor Day Weekend crowd hits the road.
29th July 2016
Old Bull vs Young Bull

That young Bull doesn't look too worried. I say hit 'em low, hit 'em good, and hit 'em hard...and if he gets up, hit 'em again.
29th July 2016
Ronda has her eye on this jacket

Nice coat. What did that cost? May be useful here in SOMD with the winters we've had the past couple years.
29th July 2016
Michelle helps support the Pipeline

Girls holding pipe...just what is going on during this trip?

Tot: 0.172s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 16; qc: 70; dbt: 0.0571s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb