Alaska, Canada and NYC Day 6


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Fairbanks
June 3rd 2014
Published: June 6th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Up and at em....

First real day of our first real organised tour ever..... To breakfast sort if early and then back to the coach in plenty of time at 0900 (and who said tours all start really early.......).

Off we go to parts of Fairbanks of notable history - 1st gold found at this part of a river, then the Alaskan pipeline and finally into downtown for lunch, etc.... Back at the coach by 1245 please - do some shopping coz we know where to go. Then a quick coffee before we get back in plenty of time - oh no - coffee takes forever to order and make. Get back 5 mins late and we are in the bad books - get lecture about being on time or everyone suffers - cower in the back rows......

To our next stop for bowl turning before the paddle steamer trip. All is forgiven and off we go with 647 other touristy people down the Chena river. Well organised and scripted tour. See nice houses along the river with lots of kids and adults out waving to us.

Get to the kennels of Susan Butcher (2 or 3 time winner of the Iditerod sled dog race -who died of leukaemia 2 years ago) and have talk of sled dogs and demonstration of how they work with 8 dogs pulling a motor less quad bike around the property (bloody quickly at that as well)...

Further down river to Eskimo village for demonstrations, etc. Interesting...

Back towards dick and bald eagle in tree then flies off - planned?????!!!

On to bus and this time we are early. Wait, wait and finally the last one back arrives - we are off the hook now - new late bunny gets told off........

Next stop the salmon bake dinner. Luckily they have real food of roast beef as well.... With free drink tickets to boot. Not too bad.

Get on the bus but I ask to get dropped off at the local AT&T shop to get a SIM card for phone so I am in contact with the world other than hotel wifi.

All done and dusted. Get back in time for a drink at the hotel. Meet some locals who are very pleasant and sit on the balcony watching the sun and moon almost touching each other at 2200 - interesting point that Chris makes - we haven't had darkness since we left Melbourne - hmmmmmm.

Off to the room to re-pack for our first bag pull at 0800.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.108s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0847s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1011.5kb