Day 14 - what a strange place


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Fairbanks
July 16th 2006
Published: July 31st 2006
Edit Blog Post


We have an entire day in Fairbanks to just wander around. It's Sunday so not much is open, and as mentioned no buses at weekends. So we walk into town, which only take a bit more that an hour. We see no pedestrians on the way. It seems like everyone has cars and use them as their sole mode of transport. Even the homeless people have SUVs. Today is a bit of a nothing day all round, apart from the 10+ miles we clock up on foot and in the drizzle. This place is more about the people who choose to live in such a challenging environment, rather than anything much to do for tourists. I think the only way to understand the city is to talk to locals, which we haven't really done yet. There's still time though. Jess was asking what beer they drink here. It's all branded Alaska, with sub-brands being the popular Summer Ale, the darker Amber and something or other that looks quite undrinkable. Judging by the locals we have seen it does seen to make you grow though - Alaskans are enormous, but maybe it's just because the work around here attracts tougher types. Or maybe it's the large amounts of sunshine they get - various world records along the lines of 'World's Largest Marrow' have been grown here, benefitting from good growing temperature and ridiculous amounts of daylight.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.236s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 21; qc: 105; dbt: 0.1251s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb