Day 12. Tok, AK to Denali Park 323 miles


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Denali
May 26th 2016
Published: May 26th 2016
Edit Blog Post

image.image.image.

Highway flag girl brought her dogs to work with her.
DAY 12 - Tok, AK to Denali National Park

Sunrise 3:58 AM – sunset 11:01 PM. Thank goodness we covered our bedroom skylight with foil.

Left Tok about 8:45 and headed north toward Fairbanks; it's a beautiful sunny morning. Sourdough Campground was nice the people quite friendly, including their Husky, Lakota. Just feels nice being back in the states(we can watch the big numbers on the speedometer). Not sure how far past Fairbanks we'll get since there are several stops we want to make. Breakfast at Golden Bear Restaurant, where we were thoroughly entertained by Linda, our waitress.
On the way we saw a mother driving her daughter(~10yrs old) to school. Mom was driving of four-wheel ATV and the daughter AND her bicycle we're on the backend. Life is a little different up here! Tok is known as the dogsled capital.
Yesterday at Buckshot Betty's we met four motorcyclists heading up on their BMWs to the Arctic Circle.. Heated grips, seats and their suits were heated.

The drive from Toc to Fairbanks was pretty boring...lots of pine forest and no wildlife! We stopped at Delta Junction to get our certificates certifying we had driven the entire length of the Alaskan Highway. See pic. Then on to North Pole, Alaska, where we lunched at a Wendy's totally decked out for Christmas.

Decided not to go into Fairbanks, but instead head straight to Denali where we plan to spend two nights at the Rainbow RV Park. The scenery much improved as we got closer to Denali, although we arrived in a light rain and 52°. Well the Rainbow RV park leaves a lot to be desired, but its location is quite good.
By the way as we motor along, we have really enjoyed everyone's comments to us. Keep them coming.
I think this will be the last day of pushing the pedal to the metal. Although we only travel about 300 miles a day it's long hours of travel as the roads are not that great. We look forward to spending a couple of days here and then meandering our way down to the Kenai Peninsula. And it's supposed to sunny and warm up these next few days.
Had our dinner. The girls then walked to the nearby shops for a little browsing while Dave and I stayed back, did the dishes and planned our next couple days here.
image.image.image.

Portland Oregon to the Arctic Circle
We might have our work cut out for us, as Denali National Park consists of 9000 mi.².
Odometer 3734 miles

Advertisement



Tot: 0.11s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0338s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb