Alaska Star Railroad to Denali


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Denali
September 4th 2012
Published: September 4th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


On March 2, 1914 the U.S. Congress authorized President Wilson to locate, construct and operate a railroad in the territory of Alaska... This was the beginning and our start of our 7 hour Star railroad trip to Denali.

We began in Anchorage with our train trip going thru towns of Wasilla, Talkeetna, Hurricane and Cantwell before ending in Denali. The Alaska Railroad was instrumental in the modern Denali National Park and Preserve experience. Until road access to the park was established in 1958 with the completion of the Denali Highway, visitors could only reach park by rail, and these visitors' experiences and travel tales fueled the early awareness of the need to preserve this area. Communities sprang up when the rr was built and continued opportunities to explore. Our conductor actually came around and collected our tickets to punch them. He told stories of current habitants along the way and had half a dozen whom he would buy newspapers from anchorage and drop off from train along our way. This was the only way these folks could keep up with Anchorage news.

The time flew by and there was plenty of room to walk between the rail cars. We had a snack car, dining car and viewing platforms between cars. The glass dome cars featured panoramic views of the scenery which changed with every turn. We got to see the international water shed line. This is where the water in the river flowed in two different directions. The reflection pics were great to see and I've just posted a couple.

We arrived in Denali at the Denali Princess Lodge which is a beautiful wood structure among many wooden buildings consisting of shops and dining along the side of mountains. Heading out tomorrow at 6:30 for our Denali bus ride into the park. Hoping to see Moose, eagles and bear along with more spectacular scenery.

Pics to load but signal not strong enough. Will try tomorrow as its 2 am Mi time and I need to sleep..nite....

Hi woke up at 330 so thought I'd try again to upload some. Yep the day started with the bloody Mary's on the train and ended with rhubarb strawberry wine and Alaskan white beer which had a smooth much desired taste..lol


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



13th September 2012

Love the train pictures and the one with the bridge. I think you might need picture frames for Christmas this year!
14th September 2012

Haha..I would need more walls..

Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.044s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb