Day 25 - Denali National Park


Advertisement
Published: September 3rd 2013
Edit Blog Post

imageimageimage

What a view for afternoon tea
Geoff cooked up a great hot breakfast this morning - maple flavoured bacon, eggs, tomato and toast. It was a much needed change from the regular cereal, yoghurt and bagels we have been having each morning.
Drove to Mile 15 and hiked the 2 mile savage river loop trail. It was a good hike but very windy. At one section of the trail we veered off up the mountain to get a better view of the river and the wind was blowing so strong it was difficult to keep standing upright.

The air is so fresh out here. You fill your lungs up with nothing but pure fresh air. There is no pollution - and the scenery is something else too. The leaves are quickly changing into autumn colours - just an awesome sight to see.

The braided river along the trail is caused by the river depositing the silt and gravel from the glacier waters. It is amazing how much water flows down from the glaciers. If you fall into the waters up here you have only around 15 minutes to get out before hypothermia sets in. Apparently even good strong swimmers will struggle in these
imageimageimage

Braving the cold on the trail
waters due to the extreme cold temperatures.

Just in case you were wondering why I am the one to keep writing these blogs I'll explain. I have been given the delegation of blogging as Geoff is the delegated driver of the vehicles - he also take the majority of the fantastic photos I put up on the site as well. We try and share the load and hopefully that way we get good results! Seems to be working so far anyway.

Stopped at the mountain Vista Loop area for lunch. Enjoyed tomato soup and toast in the RV.

Tonight is our last night in Denali before moving on. We will be heading to Fairbanks tomorrow. This evening we are going to an Alaskan cabin theatre night at the McKinley Chalet - just outside of the park. The cruise lines have grabbed some prime real estate outside Denali National Park and have built some large resorts with amazing views of the park.

Visited the Murie Learning Centre this afternoon. A great place to find information about the wildlife in the park. Exhibits and computer learning stations available.

We are happy with our choice of stay
imageimageimage

Rock faces carved by glaciers
though. To camp at Savage Creek has cost $28 per night but there are no hook ups anywhere inside the park. We drive to Riley Creek to fill up with water and use the dump station. Generator hours are also limited within the camp grounds.

There is something magical about being right here in the park. Might be something to do with childhood memories of watching yogi bear on TV or it could just be because being in the park is as close to nature that we could ever be.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

imageimage
image

Savage river loop trail
imageimage
image

Having a well deserved rest!
imageimage
image

The braided rivers
imageimage
image

Autumn colours on the ground
imageimage
image

Ranger station
imageimage
image

Savage river loop trail


5th September 2013

A great team effort..
U guys are amazing, all the off beaten tracks u are going and have been to is so good to read.. The pics are great Geoff and the blog is so interesting to read.. Just before I go off to work :-( I might add.. But gives me the incentive to save, save.. But it looks sooo cold.. Hate the cold..
11th September 2013

Hi Tracey, it's not that cold...it's only fall! Temps go below -60 degrees F in winter. Hard to imagine. Save our pennies and check it out..you won't be sorry...to be so close to nature is fantastic
11th September 2013

Hi Tracey, it's not that cold...it's only fall! Temps go below -60 degrees F in winter. Hard to imagine. Save our pennies and check it out..you won't be sorry...to be so close to nature is fantastic

Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0307s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb