Chena Hot Springs


Advertisement
Published: July 10th 2012
Edit Blog Post

It was another beautiful day in Alaska. I believe they broke the record for the low here this morning - 38 degrees. We drove to Chena Hot Springs which is about one hour northeast of Fairbanks. The first thing we enjoyed was the Ice Museum. This was built about 7 years ago. It is kept at 22 degrees inside and made out of blocks of ice inside. It has lots of ice sculptures, 4 ice bedrooms (which can be rented for $500 a night) igloo, an ice outhouse and lit by ice chandeliers. Next we enjoyed the natural mineral hot spring rock lake. It felt so good. They said the temperature ranges between 100 and 110 degrees. We then had lunch and then toured the hydroponic greenhouse. This was very interesting. Using water, nutrients and light to grow plants. They had tomatoes, cucumbers and strawberries. They try to keep 16 hours of light on the plants daily. In the winter they use small led lights for light. The floor of the greenhouse is heated from the hot springs. They try to keep the greenhouse at 70 degrees. They said it is difficult in the winter when the temperature is 60 degrees below zero. The man in charge said last winter he put lots of water hoses on the floor throughout the greenhouse filled with the hot water from the springs to keep it warm. They also use the hot water from the springs to generate electricity. All of the vegetables are used there as they have 65 employees. On the way home we saw a mother and baby moose. I think we saw a total of 9 moose going and coming from Chena Hot Springs.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.209s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0959s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb