Day 29 - Scenic drive back to Anchorage


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Anchorage
September 6th 2013
Published: September 7th 2013
Edit Blog Post

DSC05844DSC05844DSC05844

Birch Lake
We decided to take a different route from North Pole to Anchorage. Driving along the Richardson Highway we drove past the Aleyska Pipeline through Delta Junction and then to Paxson.

For 35 years, Alyeska has operated the 800-mile Trans Alaska Pipeline System (TAPS), safely moving oil from Prudhoe Bay on the North Slope of Alaska south to the Port of Valdez, the northernmost ice-free port in the United States.

The pipeline traverses three mountain ranges, permafrost regions and 34 major rivers and streams. Alyeska personnel work in Anchorage, Fairbanks and Valdez and at pump stations and response facilities along the way.

Alyeska personnel work in Anchorage, Fairbanks and Valdez and at pump stations and response facilities all along the pipeline. They also operate the Ship Escort/Response Vessel System (SERVS) for Prince William Sound.

We stopped at a couple of points of interest along the way - Birch lake where the reflections from the wilderness and the mountains was glorious. Along the way we came across Big Delta Historic Park on the banks of the Tenana River.

Last night we pulled in to a pull out with direct views of Lake Summit just a few feet away.
DSC05853DSC05853DSC05853

cabin on the Richardson Hwy
Not much traffic going along this highway so it was a quiet night. Views of the lake and the Alaska mountain range were stunning.

Seems to be lots of hunters out around this way. It is moose hunting season so that's what they will be after. Although I don't like the idea of these animals being hunted and killed as a visitor to Alaska I accept this a way of life for the folks up here. They are taught to hunt and how to be responsible with a rifle from a young age. I guess it really isn't any different from Australian farmers shooting kangaroos, brumby, rabbit, etc as they are pests to the farmers and their crops.

There are lots of cabins hidden off the roadside of the highway. Looks like they might be used in hunting season. We noticed last night that fridge had stopped working. Geoff thought he managed to fix it but on waking everything in the fridge was warm. We are driving through Anchorage today so we will stop at the depot and have it checked.

Weather is not great today. Temperature only 50 degrees F and it's raining. The scenery along
DSC05851DSC05851DSC05851

vista of the braided river
the Richardson Highway and Glen Highway has been magnificent. The autumn colours are simply amazing and the backdrop of the Alaskan mountain range made it breathtaking. We sighted a couple of moose and a lonesome caribou along the roadside.

Currently we are stopped at the Tonsina Wilderness Lodge where we have had a hot shower and are doing the laundry. We also needed to get rid of spoilt foods from this broken refrigerator.

The drive from Tonsina to Palmer was awesome. We drove through Mendetna, sheep mountain, king mountain and saw the magnificent Matanuska Glacier which appeared to be below us as we drove right next to it!

It was a pity it was raining and we couldn't get out of the RV to get closer photos. Certainly was a wow moment! Filled up the RV with fuel just outside of Palmer $192. We have now travelled 1810 miles throughout The drive from Tonsina to Palmer was awesome. We drove through Mendetna, sheep mountain, king mountain and saw the magnificent Matanuska Glacier which appeared to be below us as we drove by along side this massive glacier. Certainly was a wow moment!

Filled up the RV
DSC05879DSC05879DSC05879

lonesome caribou on the Richardson Hwy
with fuel just outside of Palmer $192. We have now travelled 1810 miles throughout Alaska.

Arrived at Anchorage around 4.30pm and went into the Cruise America depot to have the refrigerator checked out. The guy said he knew what the problem was - pressed a few buttons and said all was fine. As it turned out - it was still broken but by the time we realised this we where way out of town with no phone reception. We decided we weren't going to get upset about the lack of having a fridge - we still have a cooler we can use if we need it.

Have to say that after spending a couple of weeks in the Alaska countryside it was a shock driving bank into Anchorage. There were traffic lights and so many cars! We couldn't wait to get out and back into the serenity of the Last Frontier. One thing we have noticed up here...you never hear people honking their car horns or becoming inpatient..it's like everyone is on happy pills!! We sure could learn a thing or two from the folks up here!

Spent the evening touring down the scenic byway on
DSC05877DSC05877DSC05877

Unusual cloud formation
the Seward Highway. Stopped at the Potters Marsh - walked along the boardwalk and spotted two eagles up in the trees and some other small birds flying happily around the marshes. Drove onto Girdwood and Portage where there some activities we plan on doing tomorrow if the weather is fine. We have had all 4 seasons today. Weather fined when we got close to Anchorage, then the wind blew up, by the time we got to Portage it was blowing a gale and pouring down hard with rain. Freezing cold one minute - next minute hot. As night fell we parked in a rest area at Canyon Creek 18 miles from the historic town of hope.
I really can not describe of wonderful it is just to be surrounded by such peace and darkness during the nights here in Alaska. I will forever remember these days forever.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

DSC05885DSC05885
DSC05885

Aleska Trans Alaska Pipeline
DSC05896DSC05896
DSC05896

beware of avalanches
DSC01392DSC01392
DSC01392

little cabin across from where we spent the night at Summit lake
DSC01397DSC01397
DSC01397

vista of part of the Alaska Ranges
DSC01400DSC01400
DSC01400

little cabins deep in the woods
DSC01410DSC01410
DSC01410

Tolsona Wilderness Lodge and park in the Copper River Valley
DSC01411DSC01411
DSC01411

the office area
DSC01413DSC01413
DSC01413

vege bed
imageimage
image

Driving along the Glen Highway
imageimage
image

Matanuska Glacier
imageimage
image

Amazing braided rivers
imageimage
image

Alaskan ranges
imageimage
image

What a drive!


Tot: 0.337s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 14; qc: 75; dbt: 0.1755s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb